Saturday, January 22, 2011

Waffles with Fruit or Veggies

I am always looking for new ways to incorporate more fruits and vegetables into my family's diet, which led me to experiment with one of our favorite breakfasts: waffles. My mom shared the recipe that she uses with me; it comes from her well-used copy of the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook and it is so tasty. We've substituted a number of different vegetables and fruits for the oil in this recipe, all with great success!

Recipe #2, adapted from the Better Homes and Gardens New Cookbook:

Waffles

Ingredients:

2 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 cups white flour
2 tablespoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 eggs
3 1/2 cups milk
1 cup pureed squash, sweet potato, zucchini, cauliflower, applesauce, pearsauce, banana, etc.

Instructions:

1. Preheat your waffle iron.
2. In a large mixing bowl, mix together your flours, baking powder and salt.
3. Using a balloon whisk, add in the eggs, milk and pureed fruit or vegetable.
4. Spray a non-stick cooking spray onto the waffle iron if yours needs it (I use an old Belgian waffle iron, which always does).
5. When batter is well combined, pour a little less than 1 cup onto your waffle iron, or according to the manual.
6. Check waffle after a couple of minutes; leave it cooking until it's done to your taste. Repeat steps 4-6 until waffle batter is gone.

This morning I tried a combination of applesauce and zucchini in our waffles. My kids think these are delicious, which opens the door for me to talk about the yummy zucchini in their waffles and how good that is for their bodies!

No comments:

Post a Comment